Added Apr 18, 2013
This dress is made using a vintage Simplicity pattern, no 7118 from 1967. The fabrics came from my stash, the gingham is a stretch twill left over from some shorts made about 5 or more years ago, and the blue is a linen that used to be fucshia pink. We had no need for that colour, so I popped it into the washing machine with some Dylon & hey presto!
I have added shaping to the dress. I took the side seams in from the underarm to the waist, fading back to the original line at the hip. Although the drawing on the envelope shows it being a little more shapely, it was quite baggy on Daughter No2. I also increased the darts in the back and made a shaped back seam. At a request from my daughter I also lopped 15cm off the hem. Again, the sketch on the envelope shows the dress ending just above the knee, on my 1.78m tall daughter this dress was well below the knee! We love this dress, and I will definitely be making her at least one more for the summer!
Stretch gingham twill & linen.
Join us at The Sewing Studio for the quilting event of the season!
Show us your sloper projects for a chance to win fabric, a free pattern, and Mend & Make Fabulous!
Pattern of the Week
Let in the sun in this oversized top
Ruffles and ruching make crush-worthy tops, dresses, and skirts.
Fashion & Trends
Sew this cute style from Chanel's F/W 14 Couture Collection!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.