Added Apr 18, 2013
This dress is made using a vintage Simplicity pattern, no 7118 from 1967. The fabrics came from my stash, the gingham is a stretch twill left over from some shorts made about 5 or more years ago, and the blue is a linen that used to be fucshia pink. We had no need for that colour, so I popped it into the washing machine with some Dylon & hey presto!
I have added shaping to the dress. I took the side seams in from the underarm to the waist, fading back to the original line at the hip. Although the drawing on the envelope shows it being a little more shapely, it was quite baggy on Daughter No2. I also increased the darts in the back and made a shaped back seam. At a request from my daughter I also lopped 15cm off the hem. Again, the sketch on the envelope shows the dress ending just above the knee, on my 1.78m tall daughter this dress was well below the knee! We love this dress, and I will definitely be making her at least one more for the summer!
Stretch gingham twill & linen.
Burda Style Videos
Help us count down our TOP 10 most popular videos and get inspired!
Meg got an inside look into our new course, and see why she thinks you need to register too!
Leopard print, stripes, and mod coats for fall.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to sew these overalls with a modern twist!
This course will guide you through the process of creating an 8-piece Lingerie Collection!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.