Added Mar 30, 2011
I found this beautiful fabric on Tillys blog (last picture) and wanted to make a simple dress to show off the print. I chose the Cap-sleeve Mini Dress. I planned to make a bunch of wearable toiles until I got the fit and look of this dress just right, I ended up making 3 trial versions. I was not bowled over by this pattern. The sleeve pieces aren’t marked very well, the pattern instructions are lacking and the materials list doesn’t tell you simple things like what length zip is required. I’m also confused as to why you would have a neck facing and a full lining?
First I made the dress in a cotton Hawaiian print (from my stash). I lined the sleeves, bound the armholes and used facings at the neckline. The only change I made was to lengthen the hemline. The dress is wearable but a bit sack-like.
I made the next version in black cotton (from the stash) and fully lined it with cheap-o turquoise lining (also from the stash). In order to get clean finishes at the neck and armholes I used my own construction method instead of the one in the instructions. I also lowered the front and back necklines, added a little bit of shaping at the waist (about 4cm all over) and added a couple of slim back darts. I also decided to play around with the sleeves by slashing them through the middle.
A few more tweaks needed to be made for the perfect fit. I moved the back darts out 7cm and evened out the side seam curve. I removed the gaping from the front and back neckline. I also altered the sleeves again but will be reverting back to the sleeves from the black dress for the final garment.
I did a final trial in bird print from IKEA with some beige poly lining (from the stash). This pattern is now ready to be made up in my lovely fabric for our 10th Anniversary dinner.
- Tilly and the Buttons
- American Fabric Supplier
- UK Fabric Supplier
- Gaping Neckline Adjustments