Added Jul 25, 2008
Meredith, New Ha...
This dress is being submitted by a partnership. Two minds and four hands contributed equally to the design and
execution thereof- one being Kari (of this profile) and the other being Katie (of www.fatpatch.etsy.com).
The first thing we did to make this pattern our own was to chose materials that were obtained second-hand or
otherwise post-commercial. Three vintage fabrics were chosen: a mid- to heavy-weight black cotton with white
geometric flowers, a red, black and white tartan plaid jersey, and a plain gray for the trimming. Because the black
cotton is heavier than the fabrics recommended for this design, we chose to alter to highlight this extra structure.
The first major design change we made to the pattern was to to leave the shoulder seems halfway sewn and line the
area to make flaps which were then pinned back with decorative buttons. Secondly, the front of the skirt is slit,
and a pleated panel was instered to add a little swish.
The drawstring casing was made in the liner fabric for contrast, and the opening was moved to the rear. To
facilitate this change, the elastic portion of the drawstring was eliminated. A prim bow and hand-folded trim at
the collar finish the vintage-inspired design. To use trim at the collar in lieu of bias tape, pin trim on right
side of collar and baste in place, then turn the seam in-wards and top-stitch.
Dress is pictured over a tulle petticoat in order to highlight the pleated panel. Dress was made to fit L (12-14).
Twists on feminine classics, like a bold patterned shift dress and pants with a racing stripe.
Member Project of the Week
Short jackets like this zebra print bomber by Anniemollison are a must for spring.
The latest pattern bundle features nine vintage reissues from the 50s and 60s.
Pick one of 5 patterns for a new kind of sew along
Fashion & Trends
See steps on how Meg sewed herself a transitional Jersey suit using colorful jerseys!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.