Added Nov 14, 2012
This dress was my first experience of resizing a pattern. I found this pattern at an op shop (charity shop/thrift store) for $3 and I loved the unusual cut of the bodice, but it’s a 34 bust, and I’m a 30. So I searched and found instructions for resizing. I have to admit I was a bit terrified to cut the pattern up at first, but it wasn’t as difficult as I thought.
The pattern is Simplicity 8498, from 1969. The collar and fabric is also 1960s vintage, but unfortunately had a few faded sections so I needed to play around with the placement of pattern pieces. In the end, I couldn’t fit the front bodice on a fold, but there were a couple of smaller pieces of fabric I could fit just over half of the piece on, so I did the fake buttons down the front.
I mentioned the unusual bodice. It’s an adapted empire line, curved under the bodice, and then with an angled dart which connects to the lower piece at the same angle (getting that to be properly in line took a bit of fine tuning). The sleeves are also very slightly pleated at the top, mostly because I was a bit lazy with properly easing it into place, but also because I like the look of it.
Finally, the name of the dress. As with my other new project, this dress was christened at a gig; this one at American folk artist, Willy Mason, so it’s named in honour of the style of much of his work.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
Sip cocktails by the fire in faux fur, patterned silks, and more luxurious fabrics.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.