Added Mar 23, 2012
Here’s my attempt to make sailor shorts (without lips!) — I did a muslin, thank god, as it turned out my backside varied A LOT from the pattern. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out exactly what each different baggy or stretchy wrinkle MEANT in terms of which seam needed adjustment, so I just guessed and altered bit by bit until I couldn’t be bothered anymore!
Variations were mostly lengthening the legs, deepening the crotch, and deepening the pockets.
ANYWAY, I used a linen (which I think may be a bit too light-weight). I made the bias binding myself, which I’m quite proud of (first attempt!) – made from a small bit of random quilting cotton my mum brought back from a trip to Alaska:) Also my first attempt at button holes, which took a lot of practice, and still didn’t turn out that great – too many lumpy bits within the waist seam kept the material from feeding through under the foot evenly:(
Waiting to see now how the baggy/stretchy/wrinkly bits go through the first wash:)
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Princess Seam Top, and see how she made it into a dress!
Member Project of the Week
Kelerabeus modified our Wool Shorts pattern with adorable scalloped edges.
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our edgy, asymmetrical, paneled dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.