Added Sep 21, 2008
Brooklyn, New Yo...
This is the first Burdastyle pattern I’ve used, and I’m so exited to finally be part of the ‘club’! I needed an apron for my messy-ish new job as cutter/assistant draper at a broadway costume shop, so I used a stashed yard of checked linen and the Layla apron pattern to make it.
I made a few minor changes to the pattern. It was too wide, so I made 1/2" tucks down each sidefrom the top to about waist level. The tucks release into the front pocket, which makes the pocket stand out just enough for easy access.
The apron is really big, so I used the extra length to turn up the hem with a zig-zag hemline. The checks made it easy to sew them, though I did have to fudge a few of the points at the end to make it appear to match up.
I used the spare fabric to make bias binding for the sides, top, and pocket edge.
I also moved the neck strap to end just below my arm in the back, so that my neck wouldn’t ache after a long days work. Finally, I converted the back ties into a simple back belt which buttons on the right side, for easy wear.
I didn’t use the pocket placement on the pattern- it looked a little low (maybe because I’m 5’2"!) The pocket is really large, so I divided it into sections. I made a deep, narrow pocket for my shears, and a wider, shallower left side so that smaller tools wouldn’t get lost in the depths.
As a final touch, I sewed my initials “AZ” onto the front using bias.
Linen from Rosen & Chadick, clear plastic button from M&J Trim
Twists on feminine classics, like a bold patterned shift dress and pants with a racing stripe.
Member Project of the Week
Short jackets like this zebra print bomber by Anniemollison are a must for spring.
The latest pattern bundle features nine vintage reissues from the 50s and 60s.
Pick one of 5 patterns for a new kind of sew along
Fashion & Trends
See steps on how Meg sewed herself a transitional Jersey suit using colorful jerseys!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.