African halter top
Added May 5, 2014
I received this beautiful fabric from my daughter who bought it on a trip to Tanzania. I was waiting for the right thing to make with it and I finally decided upon a halter top. I modified a pattern I already had with a raglan sleeve. I made the neck band wider and finished the arm holes with a folded self-made bias strip. The back side seam edge was taken in at the underarm seam about 1" and tapered down from there to meet the normal edge about midway down the piece. the front side seam was used as is. This was done to prevent gaping on the back. The button is vintage 50’s – looks like a hunk of shiny branch/bark with a metallic wash on the edge. 4th picture is the original blouse from which this was modified.
African fabric from Tanzania. It is not made of natural fibers but very much like a silk gazaar – like a very fine metal mesh or screen. pliable and stiff at the same time.