Added May 21, 2011
I used a pattern from Burda Magazine #1/ 2011 for this dress. The pattern was a bit weird, especially the skirt bit. When I first tried the half-ready dress on, I looked like a snowman. The reason for that was that the skirt bit, was very wide on top and narrow on the bottom. As the top bit had some gathering on the waistline as well as the skirt, the overall image was really buffy. To avoid this “snowman” look (you can see that on the last picture), I turned the skirt upside down – connected the narrower bottom bit to the top of the dress. That worked out pretty good in the end.
I used some silky material that I found from an op shop close to my work.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.