A Wedding Dress
Added Jul 20, 2010
Nashua, New Hamp...
My friend was having a very small wedding with a simple outdoor ceremony and a casual dinner at a restaurant for a reception, so she needed a simple yet elegant dress. She couldn’t find anything in the bridal salons that met her style requirements or her budget, so I offered to make her dress. Fortunately she chose a very simple design. She showed me the inspiration dress from David’s Bridal, but requested a tea length hem. I drafted the bodice and then used two other commercial patterns for the skirt and the bodice lining. I didn’t really have any directions to follow as I was doing an outer layer in lace and a lining in silk, so I kind of made the construction process up as I went along.
The silk was ivory, not sure what kind but had really nice drape and felt very smooth. It was $25/yard. The lace was $17/yard. I used two yards of each but ended up with a lot of leftover lace for some reason. This was my first time sewing with either material. I really wasn’t sure how to deal with the lace, especially since I needed to deal with the hem and the cap sleeves. I turned the neckline edges under of the lace and then trimmed the cap sleeves to go with the design of the lace to create a scalloped look. For the hem, I originally cut the skirt so the selvedge of the lace was the hem, but of course it was not even because it was a circular hem. I ended up cutting off the original and then taking the remaining selvedge from the leftover fabric and attaching that to make a new even hem.