Added Oct 26, 2012
For whatever serendipitous reason, everything came together on this project, even though I did no planning.
I found the fabric – strawberries! in an adult print! – at the local fabric district while running around doing errands. I was completely enchanted and completely indulgent – I bought 4 yards of it.
Then with no idea of what to do with quite so much fabric, I started by drafting a playsuit for myself, based on an existing one in my wardrobe. My draw-around-the-garment skills must be non-existent though, because the fit was awful! Tight in the crotch. Tight in the waist (though I added 2in to the original). Too short in the waist (though I added 3in to the original).
That explains the lack of pics of my suit.
Well, with oodles of fabric left over, I decided to make a dress for the big girl. That led to a top for the little girl.
And then I saw the Groupon advert for a nice little cheapie photo shoot.
And that was that!
4 yards of a really lovely light cotton voile for 3 garments. I have about 1/2 yard left over.
Patterns used were:
- Big girl: Burda mag 5/2012 #148 Children’s Dress
- Little girl: Burda mag 7/2011 #143 Girls’ Blouse
- Mine: self-drafted
Hit the city streets in adventurous looks with utilitarian details like cargo pockets and belts.
Twists on feminine classics, like a bold patterned shift dress and pants with a racing stripe.
Member Project of the Week
Short jackets like this zebra print bomber by Anniemollison are a must for spring.
The latest pattern bundle features nine vintage reissues from the 50s and 60s.
Pick one of 5 patterns for a new kind of sew along
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.