Added Oct 26, 2012
For whatever serendipitous reason, everything came together on this project, even though I did no planning.
I found the fabric – strawberries! in an adult print! – at the local fabric district while running around doing errands. I was completely enchanted and completely indulgent – I bought 4 yards of it.
Then with no idea of what to do with quite so much fabric, I started by drafting a playsuit for myself, based on an existing one in my wardrobe. My draw-around-the-garment skills must be non-existent though, because the fit was awful! Tight in the crotch. Tight in the waist (though I added 2in to the original). Too short in the waist (though I added 3in to the original).
That explains the lack of pics of my suit.
Well, with oodles of fabric left over, I decided to make a dress for the big girl. That led to a top for the little girl.
And then I saw the Groupon advert for a nice little cheapie photo shoot.
And that was that!
4 yards of a really lovely light cotton voile for 3 garments. I have about 1/2 yard left over.
Patterns used were:
- Big girl: Burda mag 5/2012 #148 Children’s Dress
- Little girl: Burda mag 7/2011 #143 Girls’ Blouse
- Mine: self-drafted
Tailoring a Jacket for the Perfect Fit and a Professional Finish
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
In this Flagship Kit for only $19.99
The kids are sure to steal the show in this charming collection of classic, elegant pieces.
Member Project of the Week
She made this dress for her high school graduation, and it looks fab!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.