A little bit Rockabilly
Added Mar 2, 2013
Oh I’m loving this fabric! Cute little bugs and splotches of paint, so cute! I made this dress for my sister for her birthday as she has been wanting a rockabilly dress. It is made using the Katjusha pattern, the only real changes I made was to omit the facing- that gave me all types of hassles! In the end I ended up using the ‘outside’ bodice pattern to cut the lining and it worked fine- I was using black anyways so you can’t tell- if I had a crazy colour for the lining I would have fiddled with the facing. I also made it to size with 1/4" inch seams and it is Tiny! About a 6 to 8 Australian size, I ended up copying it on the printer and printing it at 110% and that seemed perfect for a 10 to 12 au. I didnt like the ties on the back as i was going for a slightly more ‘edgy’ look so I ended up making the Obi belt (also from Burda Style) and I realy like how it turned out. I am realy happy with how it turned out and thankfully so is my sister. One tip I would give is after drawing on the darts, hand sew loosely with a bright contrast (seriously only takes a min) then stich over that line- then remove your tempory stich- so much easier to get everything to line up nice. The photos not the best was only taken on a phone when I got her to try it on quick will try to add more later.
Quilting Cotton- I brought 3 meters and had some left over
I used Poplin for lining just because thats what I had on hand