Added Aug 22, 2013
This is probably one of the biggest projects I have worked on. A robe a l’Anglaise. I’ve been in love with 18th century style clothing for quite some time, but always thought it would be way too difficult for me to make anything like it. A friend of mine convinced me otherwise, and I’m still happy that she did.
I used Janet Arnold’s Patterns of fashion as a reference. It didn’t turn out to be historically correct, but I am happy nonetheless.
The entire project consists of: Stays, a bum roll, several petticoats and underskirts (the more the better!) and finally the overdress.
The undergarments are almost as important as the dress itself, because they create the right shape. I can’t fit in this dress correctly without wearing the stays.
All in all I think this outfit took me more than 30 hours to make. That includes all the undergarments, mock-ups. I ended up wearing it at a larp :)
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.