Added Jun 21, 2010
My best friend is expecting a baby boy in late July so I figured I’d better get off my duff and make him a present – especially since I have to mail it to the other side of the country! I found a vintage playsuit pattern at the thrift store for $0.25 (Simplicity 6948 in case you’re wondering) and used some leftover fabric from a dress I made for myself, to create this ridiculously adorable outfit. I decided to scale up the pattern from a size 6-months to be at least 1 year – my reasoning being that Gavin will be 6 months old in late January and Newfoundland isn’t exactly very warm at that time of year (ha ha ha!).
I kind of messed up the front and back facings though since I wasn’t paying attention and forgot to scale those pieces up (I blame it on watching World Cup while cutting out fabric), but I was able to insert a bit of extra fabric so everything fit properly. My sister-in-law is visiting from the UK and she brought me back some iron-transfer labels that she designed for me (she is an amazing artist and you can check out her work here) and I put one inside to add a personal touch. Oh, and check out those CUUUUUTE buttons! They look like little hazelnuts! :D
More details on this project and many other spring projects at my blog
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.