Added Oct 27, 2011
San Diego Area, ...
Autumn has me dreaming of pretty 1950s frocks a la Funny Face, but first I thought I needed to address proper foundations to help the silhouette. Since my last petticoat met an unfortunate demise at the paws of our two felines, it was time to re-address the petticoat question. I had previously made over a 1980s prom dress from a thrift store find into a 1950s skirt, and I was never too happy with the shape. I pulled it out of the closet as the perfect candidate for a make-over. I cut it apart, and with the addition of some solid black taffeta, I had enough fabric to use the pattern I had in mind.
The pattern I used for this project was Simplicity 4137, a vintage pattern from 1953.
I made view 1. This pattern was EASY and was pretty fast to sew! It probably took me under 4 hours to sew, and I wasn’t moving fast.
I also have to add, in case any of you are thinking of making up this pattern, that the tulle underlay was NOT originally included in the pattern or instructions. I just wanted extra fluff, so this is the piece that was cut straight out of that 80′s prom dress, just trimmed down at the top and added at the bottom of the petticoat yoke. I think it does the job really well, and I’m also quite pleased at the extra body given by the taffeta! Included is an inside-out shot in case any of you are interested in attempting a similar project.
More info on my blog, “Wearing History”: http://wearinghistoryblog.com/2011/10/finished-project-1950s-petticoat/
Taffeta. The polka dot moire was selvaged from a prom dress found at a thrift store, and the solid black was left over from a previous project. The tulle underlay was cut out of the found prom dress and simply re-applied at the bottom of the petticoat yoke.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.