Added Jun 26, 2013
My mother-in-law gave me her old vintage bedsheets from the 70’s. I used Burda’s pattern for the smocked-maxi-dress-022013, which I tought would fit the 70′s feel. After zig-zag smocking the dozens of lines, tying tiny knots etc, I could finally sew side seams and try it on. It was too big and ill fitting. I had measured myself prior, followed size and seam allowances etc… however I do think my cotton was maybe a bit too thick/stiff. I removed all the smocking, made it narrower by a total of 3cm, and added one single smocked seam much higher on the waist, using the elastic-on-lower-bobbin method which I prefer. Instead of using up precious vintage textile to make the biais, I bought an olive green biais to balance all that faded pink. I might buy some more of the olive biais to add a thin belt over the smocked line.
I hope I did the biais work correctly since I didn’t really understand the instructions and followed the tiny illustration.
I’m quite pleased with the result. I finished it and wore it right away as it was hot and humid day. Perfect!
cotton bedsheet from the 70’s
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.