Added Jun 26, 2013
My mother-in-law gave me her old vintage bedsheets from the 70’s. I used Burda’s pattern for the smocked-maxi-dress-022013, which I tought would fit the 70′s feel. After zig-zag smocking the dozens of lines, tying tiny knots etc, I could finally sew side seams and try it on. It was too big and ill fitting. I had measured myself prior, followed size and seam allowances etc… however I do think my cotton was maybe a bit too thick/stiff. I removed all the smocking, made it narrower by a total of 3cm, and added one single smocked seam much higher on the waist, using the elastic-on-lower-bobbin method which I prefer. Instead of using up precious vintage textile to make the biais, I bought an olive green biais to balance all that faded pink. I might buy some more of the olive biais to add a thin belt over the smocked line.
I hope I did the biais work correctly since I didn’t really understand the instructions and followed the tiny illustration.
I’m quite pleased with the result. I finished it and wore it right away as it was hot and humid day. Perfect!
cotton bedsheet from the 70’s
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
Sip cocktails by the fire in faux fur, patterned silks, and more luxurious fabrics.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.