Added Apr 1, 2013
This dress looks nice but was in fact totally hellish to make. By the time I finished I hated it, myself and all of humanity. Now that I have had some sleep I am prepared to accept that it wasn’t specifically designed to give me a nervous breakdown. I decided to use a reissue of a vintage Vogue sewing pattern and up until the very last minute it looked like a crumpled up optical illusion that bore absolutely no resemblance to a dress at all. Of course the pattern did say not for use with obvious stripes or diagonals. That is probably why it took me 8 hours of crawling around on the floor with strange measuring implements and unidentifiable pattern pieces to even cut the thing out. To hell with grain lines. There are loads of techniques that are definitely ‘vintage’ because no one in their right mind would use them now. So when I make this again I will use different finishing and assembly techniques. I think that by persisting I have definitely earned myself a trip to the South of France to wear this, and a stiff Vodka Martini.
For more exercises in lunacy and fashion look here: http://www.facebook.com/EmilyMillichipFashion
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.