Added Oct 10, 2010
My stories always have the same beginning: trudging through op-shops for fabric fabric fabric! On one occasion, I found a mini houndstooth treasure, in lightweight wool. A lovely browny-grey colour too. There was only thing for it: a delicious 1940’s dress…
I used an old Anne Adams pattern for this dress, altering the skirt length and the waist and bust widths. The woollen fabric turned out to be tricky to use, shifting around quite a bit, especially for the bodice, where pieces were cut on the bias. Luckily, the print wasn’t too large, or we may have had some issues with matching lines perfectly.. phew!
The bodice of the dress has several 40’s features which are hard to go past: rouched waist, peplum, bow on the back. One thing that threw me a little bit was the unexpected circumference of the finished neckline – it was rather tight! I ended up lowering my button placement, which gave the back neck opening a delightful little keyhole effect.
To finish the ensemble, I put on my 1940’s beaded pearl collar (this is a removable collar, which closes with a hook and eye), and a thin black belt.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.