Added Sep 8, 2010
Wirral, United K...
I was invited to go to my friend’s summer ball at Imperial College London – a really big important & slightly post university! That’s great, not been to a ball since I was at uni – the main problem being I was skint and have no ballgowns in my wardrobe. The other main problem was I was invited on the 20th May and the ball was on the 20th June!!! Oh and I work full time and couldn’t take any time off! Oh and another problem – I’d never made anything as complicated as a ballgown before! :-(
After a good look around – I’m a tall, plus sized pear shape – so not the easiest pattern hunt – eventually settled on Burda 7667 using a stunning blue taffeta that was on offer at Abakhan my local fabric shop, however it had little blue sequins stuck all over it – but only on one side – so I used the wrong side for the dress. These sequins accidentally became a new ‘design feature’ on the dress – I managed to stitch the side panels in the wrong way round so the wrong side is on the outside!! However one of the girls in my sewing club caught sight of it with me moaning about having to unpick both rather long fiddly seams and stated that she actually liked it like that! I asked around and everyone agreed – so now the side panels ended up being covered in sequins!
I loved the ball – had a great laugh with my mate. The dress fitted great, looked great, was comfortable to wear & I enjoyed wearing it! We had some professional photos done, so that’s what I’ve uploaded.