Added Dec 14, 2011
by Laura Seale
Taken from a book of vintage patterns for children, however this is the second thing I’ve made from the book and both patterns were wrong and the instructions were awful. For such a lovely looking book, it’s such a shame.
In this case the boddice was 4 inches too wide, there was no measurement for gathering in the sleeves and the collar was 2 inches too short so I had to majorly improvise. I also didn’t like the lace flowers on the collar so I left them off, I added 2 pretty buttons instead. I also lengthed it and hid it under the bottom lace. It now looks pretty but only because I altered it.
The finished dress is hanging up. It’s corrected after trying it on a friends daughter and I also decided to lengthen it and was glad I hadn’t put the lower lace on at that point as I was able to hide the band under it.
The other dress is, minus the lower lace, as the pattern says it should be, although I’ve already sorted out the collar. You can see it looks square. I don’t have a child at home so have no reference point I rely on the patterns. Don’t think I’ll be making anything else out of this book.
I used voile and some other material I had rather than the silk and chiffon which would have hung better but this works well.
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
Member Project of the Week
A gorgeous confection with a surprise peach chiffon layer.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.