Added Apr 15, 2014
The project started with a striped cotton fabric I received from my sister. I instantly knew it’s use would be for a shirt dress. I wanted a simple day dress and I didn’t want to experiment with creating any new patterns, so I used the 04/2011BurdaStyle Chiffon Shirt Dress pattern without altering it apart from shortening the sleeves, adding in-seam pockets and belt loops for a sash (my figure won’t allow for such a dress without a belt at the waist). Since this was supposed to be a quick project I didn’t think of the measurements much, using the standard 36. I forgot that my waist is a bit bigger than that, which meant I couldn’t button the bottom of the dress. To save it I had to let go of all the extra fabric I left at the front for the buttons and buttonholes. In addition, I had to lift the dress a little so that it would eventually fit. This gave a looser back – characteristic for the 40s. In the end, what was supposed to be a modern day dress became a day dress for my reenactment.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.