Added Nov 4, 2009
I made this gown for a murder mystery party set in the 1930’s during the engagement party for a member of the “mob family”. I found the pattern (Simplicity 5876), which was out-of-print, on eBay. I found the wine-colored satin on the clearance aisle at my local fabric store. It was much smaller than I anticipated, so I ended up wearing a skin-tight waist cincher underneath. A purple zipper was added in one side, and the rose on the bodice was tacked on with thread. The bodice and skirt of the dress were both lined with wine-colored lining fabric. The hardest part of the dress were the cuffs on the sleeves, which needed fusible interfacing to stiffen them. Even though it was fairly tight on me, I enjoyed wearing it to the party.
Wine-colored satin fabric
Wine-colored lining fabric
Dark purple zipper
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.