Added Sep 2, 2013
I made this dress about a year and a half ago, at the height of my obsession with 30’s and 40’s fashion. I thought it pairs quite well with the recent and cape and stockings projects so here it is!
For this lovely dress I used a pattern from around 1939. I kept all the features of the original pattern, and just adjusted the length of the hem for a more modern look. The bust is tastefully gathered without the excess of fabric that other styles from this era sometimes have. And I love the ties that hug the waist, with a cute bow at the back. The collar is quite simple, and I like to wear it with a 1950’s clip-on ascot.
The fabric was an op shop find, as usual, with a sweet yellow and lilac floral print. It feels like an odd cottony polyester fabric, which was quite lovely to work with. It didn’t wiggle around during sewing and was very amenable to pressing.
Overall, this was a straight-forward project. I decided to make it even more straight forward when it came to sewing the hem – partly out of laziness and partly out of wishing to play around with my twin needles – by just folding the hem over once and sewing using the twin needles. This really only worked because the skirt was cut on the bias :)
polyester floral fabric
Fashion & Trends
Sparkle in any outfit with these great styling tips
Fashion & Trends
Save 50% On 27 Stunning Dress Patterns with the code NYE2014!
Save 40% on some of our most stylish patterns with the code BOXING2014- 12/26/2014 Only!
Sew in the new year with patterns that were 'the' patterns 2014! (we are also putting them on sale)
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.