Added Sep 2, 2013
I made this dress about a year and a half ago, at the height of my obsession with 30’s and 40’s fashion. I thought it pairs quite well with the recent and cape and stockings projects so here it is!
For this lovely dress I used a pattern from around 1939. I kept all the features of the original pattern, and just adjusted the length of the hem for a more modern look. The bust is tastefully gathered without the excess of fabric that other styles from this era sometimes have. And I love the ties that hug the waist, with a cute bow at the back. The collar is quite simple, and I like to wear it with a 1950’s clip-on ascot.
The fabric was an op shop find, as usual, with a sweet yellow and lilac floral print. It feels like an odd cottony polyester fabric, which was quite lovely to work with. It didn’t wiggle around during sewing and was very amenable to pressing.
Overall, this was a straight-forward project. I decided to make it even more straight forward when it came to sewing the hem – partly out of laziness and partly out of wishing to play around with my twin needles – by just folding the hem over once and sewing using the twin needles. This really only worked because the skirt was cut on the bias :)
polyester floral fabric
Check out these festive sewing patterns just in time for Oktoberfest
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.