02/2011 Dress - My adaptation!
Added Sep 14, 2011
This was a very interesting sewing experience for me. Firstly, the pattern only includes the pieces for the bodice, which allows the sewer to make the skirt how they wish. I liked this idea, but felt a bit uneasy about doing anything too tricky due to my pear shaped body and lack of pattern-drafting skills. I decided as the fabric was light I would make a simple gathered skirt.
The most interesting thing for me however, was that I actually got the dress finished! No, not because I might have procrastinated slightly, but because almost to the very last stitch I just did not like it. If this had been a project I was making on my own, there is a very good chance it would never have been completed. But being part of a sew-along really made me stick with it. About 1 hour into the sewing I decided I hated the fabric pattern. About 1 hour and 30 minutes into the sewing I decided I hated the pattern. What I had in front of me looked like a pinky-red, funny shaped pile of yuck.
But I persevered and when I put it on I thought “that actually doesn’t look too bad”. Granted it is not a dress I would wear out to dinner, but in the warmer weather later this year it might get a few trips to the beach or park. I am yet to decide if I want to make a belt for this dress, if I do decide to I will post a tutorial.
- Did not use a lot of paper to print on the home printer.
- The bodice was very easy to construct.
- I like that the skirt is not included.
- The bodice is simple and I didn’t need instructions.
- The neckline is low – so would not suit everyone.
- I changed my zipper to a centre back one.
Visit me at hand-quilter.blogspot.com to keep up with my sewing adventures :-)