I purchased this pattern and am getting ready to do a muslin of this dress and coat and for the life of me I am confused about one part. In the instructions for the dress it states to cut out a 2 inch square to reinforce the inner corner of the bodice arm….putting it on the outside of the fabric. I have gone over these instructions for hours….reading them and looking at the pictures. Something is just not right. I always thought that when you reinforce a corner…you do it on the inside (wrong side) of the fabric. But when I look at the picture on the instructions (and using the Illustration shading key) it shows that they are tacking this 2 inch square on the outside (Right side) of the fabric. Now I’m thinking that this is going to show since it’s on the outside of the fabric, and I was always taught to do this on the inside of the fabric. This is the first time sewing a Vogue pattern (I knew there was a reason why I didn’t like buying them)….so….if anyone out there can take a look at the instructions of this pattern and maybe guide me….or show me where I am going wrong…it would be greatly appreciated.

Blue-dreams-fantasy-girl-wide_large

5 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 10th_aug_on_holiday_large

Apr 12, 2013, 10.25 AMby katensew

It’s not a gusset is it ? These were often added to allow movement on non stretch fabrics – you know for rocking and rolling !!

1 Reply
    • Blue-dreams-fantasy-girl-wide_large

Apr 13, 2013, 04.23 AMby lswcaw

no…it’s not a gusset. It’s used for a reinforcement…I am certain of this…but the pattern instructions state to put the 2 inch square on the outside of the material…..I have NEVER done this. Whenever I reinforced an armhole….it was always done on the inside of the material…..the wrong side. That’s why the instructions have really thrown me for a loop…..I have no idea what they are talking about…..Seriously…go to a pattern store and pull the instructions out and take a real close look at it and you will see what I mean…..I sure hope someone can help me on this.

• Dsc02107_resize2_large

Apr 13, 2013, 01.49 PMby grabil

Hi. I’m going to tell you what i think. Here in Argentina happen lot of times. Maybe the person how wrote the instructions isn’t intrested. So if confuse a word or a graphic… or forgot a detail, just don’t care. (Maybe not intencional. But some times the persons how write about these stuff, just has that job, but doesn’t know really how to make the garment.) Trust in your knowledge!

1 Reply

Apr 13, 2013, 06.22 PMby lswcaw

thanks grabil…..I guess I will probably do just that. I have been sewing for a very long time and have never seen what they are describing. So I will go with what I know. It’s sad to think that someone would actually do that with the pattern instructions though…Any job I had…I always took it seriously…and did the very best that I could. You would think that someone would review this though…hmmm. Anyway…thanks for the encouragement.

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Apr 13, 2013, 09.03 PMby sewingfan1

Have you checked the pattern review site to see if anyone has reviewed it before? http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readall.pl

1 Reply

Apr 15, 2013, 08.20 AMby lswcaw

Yes….I did…..no one has made it and put in a review. I did e-mail Vogue with my question and am hoping that they will reply with information I can use…otherwise…I am going to go with what I know.

• 67f2c04548980ff46226d7497d8692937bd29f9b_large

Apr 15, 2013, 04.17 PMby dare

Hi Iswcaw,

Is this tutorial from Gertie what you are describing? See the 2nd half of her post. http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2010/04/roses-are-red-ceil-chapman-tribute.html

Best regards,

Denise

1 Reply

Apr 16, 2013, 09.27 AMby lswcaw

OMG!….Thank You Thank You Thank You…..yes that is exactly what is going on. And like Gertie said in her post….they don’t tell you to fold it to the inside. Thank You soooooo much for answering this problem for me. YOU get a BIG GOLD STAR for the week……Thanks again!

• Missing

May 26, 2013, 06.00 PMby Lynda Roth

I just made this pattern. It was time consuming but came out beautiful. I changed the way I made the dress because I needed to line it and I hate side zippers. So I lined it like a sheath dress and put an invisible zipper in the back.

1 Reply
    • 10th_aug_on_holiday_large

May 27, 2013, 10.07 AMby katensew

Glad you got it all sorted out -looking forward to your posting the finished articles.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/vintage-vogue-pattern-8875--2