Hi I was wondering if anyone had made this shirt before? It says skill level is Novice but I am having a hard time understanding the sewing instructions. I am struggling with how to sew the front panel, it’s meant to join and form a twist at the center however I cant figure out how to do this from the instructions! I bought silk to make my shirt out of so I don’t want to cut it until I have figured out how to sew it.

Am feeling a bit bamboozled…………..

This is a link to the pattern.

http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/twisted-silk-top-072013

any help kindly appreciated. :) Ali

Poppies_large

4 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Nov 2, 2013, 05.51 PMby sewingfan1

Hmm, the instructions sound a little weird reading them through. Might be one of those projects that make more sense if you actually have all the pieces cut out and in front of you with all their markings on and take it slowly one step at a time. But to be safe, do you have some cheap fabric you could have a practice on first?

• Poppies_large

Nov 2, 2013, 05.55 PMby alij5

Hi – Sewingfan1, thanks, glad its not just me that finds them weird! Am thinking of cutting some muslin. Its about the same weight. Its the bit where I have to join the twist that I don’t understand – as in where to cut and how to reassemble. Would love to know if anyone else has figured this out!

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Nov 3, 2013, 08.02 PMby sewingfan1

You realise that you don’t have to actually cut a slit though? At least that’s how it reads to me.

When you fold over the fabric so the seams number 1 meet each other, there are slit markings that should have been transferred to the fabric ( they look like the symbols usually used to mark where a zipper ends) and so basically when you sew that seam from the slit marking to the number 1s you will naturally be left with an open slit.

I couldn’t understand the bits about tightly gathering the fabric above the slit or the reason/how to clip the edges on the seam allowance and figured those would be the bits I’d probably try and figure out instinctively as and when I came to them if I was making it. It’s probably one of those things that’s really simple to do in practice but a nightmare to type up ‘how to’ details.

• Poppies_large

Nov 6, 2013, 10.52 AMby alij5

ugh – thank you so much. Going to have a go in the weekend. If it works I will put up a picture of my finished shirt!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/twisted-silk-top-072013-127--2