Hi – I’m pretty new to sewing, and have been racking my brains about this pattern and am completely stuck. I made it out of a bed sheet but it’s absolutely enormous so I am obviously doing something very wrong.

It’s mainly the pattern cutting that I’m not sure about. The pattern is 2 pieces, 6 and 7. You cut piece 7 out twice (skirt back), then piece 6 out twice (skirt side front), but then you need to cut out one more piece of 6 on the fabric fold. But which is this piece? There’s a seam drawn on the pattern so I assumed this was where you cut, with the centre piece on the fold. But the skirt turns out HUGE! It’s really hard to tell how much fabric is needed because it’s gathered, but adding up the lengths of the gathered pieces plus this mysterious front piece, it doesn’t match up to size.

Also there are some pleated sections and I’ve got no idea how to do these. Big pleats, small pleats, several or one big one, and which way do you fold the fabric when the arrow points in a certain direction?

I really hope someone can help me because I love the pattern and the fabric and really want to get started!

Thanks very much, Julie

Jules_r_large

4 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Self_portrait_large

Jul 6, 2014, 04.39 PMby Sabrina Wharton-Brown

I don’t have the pattern, but I’ve been sewing since I was 17 and this is probably how I would sew this skirt. I think this would be the easiest way to make it.

1. HEM With this skirt, it’s probably best to hem it first because of the flaps on the front. There is a tutorial for hemming curved edges here

2. FRONT There are three front skirt pieces: two half fronts and one cut on the fold. This is because the two half pieces are to be gathered up at the top to go on front of the the big piece, like curtains on top of a sheet if you will.

To gather the skirt flaps (the curtains) you can follow any of these tutorials but I think tip #9 would be easiest with such a lot of fabric. I think each “curtain” will be folded back on itself so that there is a fold at its front edge. Do this before you gather if you like. There will probably be notches on your pattern (they will look like little lines on a BurdaStyle pattern) to tell you where to fit your “curtains” onto the “sheet” so that it looks like the photo of the skirt.

I think you then sew the “curtains” to the “sheet” along the top edge and the side seams.

3. ZIP Now you sew the centre back seam and the zip. On this skirt, they have used an invisible zip

4. POCKETS Now you can add the inseam pockets like this sewing the back skirt to the front skirt in the process. To do this, have your front skirt on the table in front of you with the “curtains” on top and the side seam pockets sticking out like ears. Lay the back skirt on top of that with the right side (the side that will be the outside when you wear the skirt) down on the front skirt, with the pockets matching the front skirt’s pockets. Sew the side seams, going around the pockets as if you were drawing around the skirt and pockets with your sewing machine.

NOTE: It will give you a better pocket if you sew strips of ribbon or cotton or twill tape to the pocket-to-skirt seams. This stops the pocket from stretching out of shape.

5. WAISTBAND Now make the waistband. It is best to add interfacing to this to make it stay stronger for longer and help it to keep it’s shape. If this is in two pieces (“Cut 2” on the cutting instructions in the magazine), sew them together along the top edge and the two short edges. If it is one pattern piece (“Cut 1” on the cutting instructions) then the waistband is just a rectangle folded over at the top edge and sewn down each short end. There is a tutorial for waistbands here (Sorry, I couldn’t find a better tutorial for that.)

Before you attach the waistband to the skirt, gather the back skirt pieces like you did the “curtains” so that they fit into the back of the waistband.

Then you can add a button and buttonhole to the back waistband. Make sure to put the button on the part of the waistband that will be nearest you when you wear the skirt (the underlap). Your sewing machine manual will tell you how to do the buttonhole, and you can sew the button on by hand or you can do it by machine with a zigzag stitch and the feed-dogs covered or dropped (depending on your machine). If you prefer, you can use a hook and eye . This could be easier than a buttonhole as there is a lot of uneven bulk in this waistband (gathers on onside, nothing or just two seam allowances on the other).

And I think that’s it!

• Image_large

Jul 6, 2014, 06.55 PMby CarmenW

If the skirt is too voluminous you can try this.

Cut the back and sides as directed. Instead of cutting the front center panel the same width as sides measure how much you want flat. Say 6 inches. Which is 3 inches from center plus add your seam allowance.

I would sew the zipper in first. That way you don’t have gobbs of fabric to deal with.

Do the back panel gathers.

With right sides together sew in one pocket piece to back panels.

Gather front side panels.

With right sides together sew in the other pocket piece to front panel.

Now sew side seams. Start from bottom of skirt. Make sure when you pin your sides to also extend out the pockets as well. That way you sew up to the pocket opening then back sew to bottom of pocket. Go around the pocket. Then at top of pocket you sew down the side seam/pocket to top of your opening. Back sew along side seam to top of skirt.

Make sure to press seams open as you go along.

Sew in the front panel. If you want you can leave one side seam undone and finish the hem edge at this time. Zig zag, hem tape, binding…. I prefer this so I can push the fabric away from me and not risk sewing in puckers or pinches into it.

If the edges are even I would go ahead and do the final hem at this point as well. If not, then I proceed to closing the last side seam, putting in waistband and doing button hole. I would have someone help with hem. That way they can step back and get a better view.

• Purplefan_large

Jul 6, 2014, 09.45 PMby purplefan

http://www.burdafashion.com/fr/Burda_Style_octobre_2010/117_Jupe/1437260-1772804-1772812-1772859.html

http://www.burdafashion.com/fr/Burda_Style_octobre_2010/117_Jupe_Schema_du_modele/1437260-1772804-1772812-1772859-1772912.html The second link shows the technical drawing. That front piece cut on a fold is the Centre Front section that will have a pleat on each side. It looks like the rest of the skirt sections are gathered at the waistline.

Does your bedsheet have body/weight similar to light tweed? If it’s not the same, you may notice your skirt will not hang the same as the skirt in the photo (first link). Maybe spray starch might help!

• Jules_r_large

Jul 8, 2014, 08.11 PMby Jules Richardson

Thank you ALL SO MUCH for taking the time to help…. Hopefully I’ll soon be able to post a photo of the finished product with all your advice in evidence! Many thanks again, Julie

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/tweed-circle-skirt-burda-102010-117--2