I’m a new subscriber and this is the first dress I’ve tried to make and I’m having trouble. My issue is not not the sewing or the directions, it is the pattern fit. I’ve made 3 different muslins of this patterns bodice to play with size variations and all of them have the arm opening lower than my bust line. There is about 2 inches from the bottom of the arm opening to the waistband. This makes it seem that raising/lowering your arms would be awkward. In the photo, the line drawing of the back of the dress shows that they are supposed to be somewhat ‘floppy’ but the photo looks like it has more ‘normal’ sleeves. Has anyone made this dress and are the arm holes really supposed to be that baggy? I would rather have armhole smaller and about 4" from the bottom of the arm hole to make this fit more flattering. That adjustment would require re-drawing the arm hold and the sleeve.

Here’s the image of the dress http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/tucked-dress-082012

I think it’s so very pretty and would like to make it … Missing

6 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Sewing_machine_large

Sep 12, 2012, 03.33 PMby bjr99

The photo is a bit deceiving. It looks like a regular sleeve and arm hole but it is not. It is like the sketch . Since you have several muslin tops made already, why don’t you sew on the muslin skirt and try it on. You may find that the sleeves are not as awkward as you think. Best to make the decision based on the muslin rather than going to the fabric and being disappointed.

• Missing

Sep 12, 2012, 09.48 PMby IkkiaRain

Take bir99’s advice and finish your muslin, try it on.

• Missing

Sep 13, 2012, 05.50 PMby dimiko

Ok, I’ll go ahead and finish the muslin. Thank you both for the feedback.

• Sewing_machine_large

Sep 13, 2012, 07.22 PMby bjr99

Please let us know how it turns out!

• Missing

Oct 8, 2012, 12.44 PMby dimiko

Thank you all for your encouragement. I finished the dress and the pattern is just fine. The arms are not as limiting as I’d expected. Making it in a nice silky dress fabric helped a lot.

I did have trouble with the gathering on the front of the skirt and regardless of how I worked it, that feature does not flatter my less than flat stomach. I expected as much and wished I’d left it out. What I did not expect though is once I put in the zipper, it is a bit of a struggle to get the dress over my bust. I did not put the zipper in the muslin.

The sleeve gathers on the shoulder a bit more than I like but this is a feature of the pattern that is more apparent in the line drawing and muslin than in the photo. Overall, the dress is pretty. If I make it again, I’ll lessen the gathers on the shoulders, leave them off the skirt and add tiny bit more room in the waist.

• Sewing_machine_large

Oct 8, 2012, 03.21 PMby bjr99

Good to know that your dress is done! Have you posted a phot of it?

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/tucked-dress-082012-107--2