Hi all,

I found a very cute fabric (white background with colorful big polka dots) and knew exactly what I wanted to make with it: the popular cap sleeve dress (02/2011 #101). goal: a flashy 50s dress.

I sew everything together for a first fit. The bodice needs some adjustments for the gaping neckline, but I know how to fix that.
However, the skirt is a HUGE problem. Since my fabric has a bit of structure and is quiet stiff, the skirt is HUGE (looks very poofy), and consequently, my ass looks the same.
So my teacher told me to reduce the size of the rectangles for the skirt: I took off 26 cm (I didn’t cut it off yet) in total and re-arranged the gathering to be homogeneously again. Result after a couple of hours: the same!

Has anyone a solution?
Or anyone experience on making this dress with a stiff fabric?
Maybe I should go for pleats instead of gathering but I think it will be less cute (although it doesn’t look cute at all now because of the huge skirt).

I hope I will get this to a happy end, I’m in love with the fabric, the bodice fits very well, but that bloody skirt is ruining everything at the moment.

Dsc_0545_large

1 Post Sign in to add a post

• Missing

Mar 26, 2013, 07.09 AMby arisaid

Pleats sound a good idea and will still look cute!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/stiff-fabricpoofy-skirt-cap-sleeve-dress-022011--2