Hello!

I am trying to make this dress for a wedding (without the pockets – though I may add some hidden side pockets). I don’t understand Burda’s instructions for sewing the shoulder seams together. It seems to me like I can sew the shoulder seams on both the front and back pieces, and then, when I attach the front panels and the back panels together, just pull the material out through one of the shoulders to make the bust part right side out. The material I am using is a bit expensive theough, so I don’t want to make a big mistake (and I hate undoing stiching!!), so if any one out there can tell me if this is a really bad idea, I would appreciate it!

Hopefully there are some experienced Burda users out there!

Thanks in advance!

Missing

3 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Missing

May 24, 2013, 04.36 AMby arisaid

Use some cheap fabric to have a go first. You can thren correct any mistakes on that.

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

May 24, 2013, 06.29 PMby sewingfan1

It sounds like it has a lining really as you cut out the front pieces x4 and the back x2 so there’d be a double layer of the fabric for the bodice, it is probably really difficult to write instructions for – i’ve always ended up working out my own way to do it instinctively in the end as the instructions never seem to be logical to me!! you would sew the neckline and armhole seams right sides together with their corresponding inner pieces and then Turn them the right way and you should be able to reach through and sew the outer piece (the side that will be visible on the finished garment) shoulder seam and push it through and then sew the inner seam by hand. It’s a good idea to do as the instructions say and iron the seam allowance edges to wrong side before sewing the neck and armhole edges and shoulder edges together, makes it so much easier to do the hand sewing bit once you’ve turned it then. Maybe practice on some scraps of fabric, draft some doll size pieces so you get the logic behind the way it’s done, that’s the way i did it at first.

• Missing

May 24, 2013, 07.43 PMby beemouse

You are right – I suppose I am just being lazy! I will try it out the way the instructions say. It will be a learning experience that will help to to decide in future projects. Thanks for your help!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/shoulder-seams-on-poplin-dress-052013-124--2