So I have this serger that someone gave to me but it doesn’t have a manual. It is a Juki Baby Lock (BL3-407) and I have been having one heck of a time trying to find help for it (going on month 4 now.)
I’ve never used a serger before and I figured that this would be the best way to learn before making the financial investment.
Anyway, I sat down with an experienced friend of mine and together we managed to figure out everything we could about my machine (how to thread it, how to adjust the stitch length, tension…) but for the life of us we could not seem to figure out the stitch width adjustment. It’s currently set to the thinnest width and there are some heavy-duty knits that I was hoping to use.
Now, since I have been looking for the past 4 months, yes, I have tried searching for manuals and every site that I came across that boasted having .pdf versions of the manuals DID NOT actually have them (although I did transmit payment to one and have yet to hear back.) I also tried contacting people in forums (on here and other ones) who have posted about this same machine but have not gotten a reply. So now I am posting here in the hopes that someone will read this and know this machine and take pity on me and explain HOW TO ADJUST THE STITCH WIDTH so that I can finally use my machine in full force!

Thank you in advance!!

This is what my machine looks like (found from google images)

Amandatam01_large

2 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 985f0154fdefdf284531d76b36fbffee7a42548e_large

Apr 11, 2012, 07.45 AMby katexxxxxx

The machine is either Juki or baby lock: the two are separate companies. As it has baby lock on the front, you can ignore any manuals that say they are for Juki machines. It’s an older machine: no-one is making three-thread machines any more.

On threading: thread the LOWER looper first, then the upper, and lastly the needle.

To adjust the stitch width, you need to adjust the CUTTING width. Open the front cover and look for a knob to turn that moves the lower cutting blade. In order to allow it to move, you may well need to turn the upper blade out of the way as that has a very strong spring on it. If you don’t find the knob below the blade mechanism inside the front cover, take a look on the left hand side of the machine. It may be under a hinged cover that also allows access for cleaning.

Be aware that the maximum stitch width on these older three thread machines is often 4-5mm rather than the 7mm+ you get on modern machines.

Another thing to check is that you have the correct stitch plate fitted. These machines usually need a different stitch plate for standard stitching and rolled hems. If you have a stitch plate fitted with a needle over which the stitches are formed (it’ll be under the presser foot, pointing backwards), then that is the rolled hem plate and you will need to swap it out for the stitch plate with a flat ‘finger’ pointing back, which is the standard seam sewing stitch plate…

• Missing

Jan 8, 2014, 10.03 AMby lindamarie805

I have the same machine and it says JUKI Co. Ltd. on the back.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/serger-help-bl3-407--2