NEW BurdaStyle
Best of Blogging List!

Subscribe to our FREE digital newsletter and
receive the new Top 50 Bloggers List for
sewing, fashion and craft enthusiasts!

Hello everyone. This would be my first time to ask a question through using this website. I wish you could help me. I’m about to repair an armhole seam of clothes . The stitching of this clothing has come loose because of the extra arm movement. What type of hand stitch should I use?
I knew a couple of stitches ,but I’m not sure what would be the best hand stitch? I’m not going to use a sewing machine since I don’t have one yet.


2 Posts Sign in to add a post

  • Sewing_machine_large

    Apr 10, 2013, 08.52 PMby bjr99

    I like to use a back stitch that is fairly close together. It is a lot like machine stiching for strength. If the edges of the seams are raw try using the buttonhole stitch to cover them to prevent fraying.

  • 121bcd6a71a_avatar_large

    Apr 10, 2013, 11.09 PMby harrietbazley

    Agreed – backstitch along the line of the old seam (if not too frayed) with buttonhole stitch to finish any raw edges.

    You might want to consider running a second line of backstitch parallel to your seam to help take the strain if it’s an armhole that sees a lot of ‘movement’.

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts