So, I’m somewhere between a novice and intermediate seamstress. I’ve worked with several sewing patterns before, and have never had any trouble piecing together the pieces. This is my first time using a Burda pattern (#7388), and I cannot for the life of me figure out how this sweetheart neckline bodice pieces together. The edges for the bodice center front and the center sides that are supposed to be seamed together aren’t even kind of the same shape.

I was able to get a somewhat working version of the bodice, but I was only able to do that by flipping the center side pieces upside down from how they were meant to be attached to the center front. But still, because of the differently shaped edges, there is a lot of fabric left over at the seam edge, so I know this can’t be right.

Here’s a link to an album showing the pattern, the pieces, and my makeshift version.

Can someone please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong or what I’m missing here? Thank you all so much in advance!!

Profile90x90_large

5 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Profile90x90_large

Mar 30, 2012, 05.43 PMby Rachel Neely

Thanks to some wonderful ladies on Reddit, I think I understand now where I was going wrong. First, I was expecting there to be notches to guide the seam line, but for this pattern, there just aren’t. But mostly, I was looking at these pattern pieces on a flat table, two dimensionally, when obviously, the bust area is going to be a three dimensional area. When I actually match the edges up the way they described, I can see how they fit together even though they appear to be different shapes. I need to get out of my two dimensional headspace, and really think about the human body.

• Bored_polar_bear_large

Mar 30, 2012, 10.41 PMby 20beverly08

These are princess seams. best to press them on a curved surface, like an ‘ironing ham’ or even a large ball, to get the seams to curve and press out nicely. Also, need to trim your seams to make your curves lie flat. The Burdastyle website has a ‘tutorial’ on how to trim curved seams and press them on a curved surface.

• Image_large

Nov 22, 2012, 05.36 AMby mrsoneill

Hi Rachel! Did you post your 7388 project on burda style when it was completed? I am about to start this pattern and can’t find a picture of anybody else’s anywhere :) I’m a very visual person and love to see somebody else’s take on the pattern before I make it! Thanks Claire

• Missing

Sep 17, 2013, 01.11 PMby Linda2013

I have been sewing for many years and this has to be one of the more confusing patterns I have ever done. I certainly hope that it is not what all of Burda are like. I have some very strong suggestions as to how they could make their patterns more user friendly.

• S3010060_large

Mar 18, 2014, 06.08 PMby Roxanne McFall

I am having trouble making the shirring pieces gather up and look remotely as good as the picture on the pattern envelope. Have been making mockup pieces for a month now. Does anyone know why the shirring pieces need to be cut on the bias.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/need-help-with-burda-pattern-7388-please--2