Hello – I’m going to make this garment but using a quite heavy knit fabric which looks as though it will unravel easily. I’m thinking of finishing all the seams (as well as neck and arm openings) with bias tape – not sure what sort yet – do you think this approach is right?
Second question: I am not sure what to do with the hem. The pattern instructions say to leave the recommended mohair fabric unfinished with a zigzag just in from the edge but I don’t think that will work for my heavier fabric – it will simply look unfinished. Should I hem it, or use more bias tape?
Final question! I’ve never used a knit fabric before – any helpful hints before I start?

Edited: I don’t think after all it will unravel any more problematically than any average material but I still think I’ll bind all seams and maybe do a rolled hem (never done before…) for the hem. Advice still welcome if anyone has any.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Missing

2 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Iphone_pictures_037_large

Jan 11, 2014, 03.34 PMby Deanna31

Hi,

I think you’ll have trouble with the bias binding. It may stretch the seam out of shape. Overlocking is best or zig zag second.

A rolled hem for the bottom is ok but it may stretch the fabric out of shape too. Sometimes the stretching can look really effective, and people pull the fabric on purpose as it goes through the machine to make the fabric wave (Try it on a test fabric before starting to see how much to stretch the fabric or how NOT to stretch the fabric). However I always use a double stitch machine. You can create a similar effect by zigzagging the hem, folding it over 2.5cm, then doing 2 rows of stitching.

Make sure you stretch the fabric as you sew the straight seam, otherwise when you stretch the fabric the thread will snap.

A new ball point needle will also stop holes in the garment. If you can’t get a ball point needle, use a fine (size 10) new needle.

Good luck ;)

• Missing

Feb 7, 2014, 01.09 PMby Caromary58

Hi – many thanks for the reply. I’ve just come back to have a look after a while not checking the forum. I did some googling and in the end I just used the bias binding for the shoulder seams and the neck. I hand finished the bottom after folding over twice to make a narrow hem, but I think I might redo it as you’ve suggested, as the garment is a very nice shape now but I can imagine it stretching out of shape as I do tend to tug my knit tops straight quite a lot. The side seams I finished with zigzagging as you suggested, but I sewed them with just a straight stitch, so I will try to remind myself to go easy on my tugging! I learned one lesson for next time – the way I have made up the garment, my knit fabric is very stretchy from top to bottom but much less so from side to side so I had to let the seams out – I didn’t think to check the stretch before cutting out. In fact, overall the top is much more fitted than the picture of the mohair example, but I do really like it and think that what I’ve ended up with looks very smart. I’m quite proud of the fact that it fits me very well (luck rather than anything else), the side seams are straight, and there is no twisting anywhere!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/mohair-shirt-112012-136a--2