I am currently making Burda Skirt 111 and I’m a little confused. If I’m reading the instructions correctly I am supposed to add 5/8" to the pattern pieces before I cut out my fabric. Is that correct?? I’ve never purchased a pattern that I had to add in the seam allowances.

Missing

1 Post Sign in to add a post

• 985f0154fdefdf284531d76b36fbffee7a42548e_large

Nov 14, 2013, 07.38 AMby katexxxxxx

No, you can add as much or as little as you like…5/8" or 15mm is only a fairly arbitrary amount added by commercial pattern makers for historic reasons If you are adding your own, feel free to add as much as you like. If you are not sure the pattern will fit, add a wider allowance to give extra wriggle room. You can trim it down when you make the final garment up.

How much you add may well depend on the cut of the garment, or where the piece goes: I add about 3" seam allowance when cutting a bias cut item, for example, and none at all to the felt undercollar of a man’s jacket. Chest canvas only gets seam allowances in some places, but body panels get it all round…

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/instructions-for-draped-petite-skirt-111--2