I need help …..I cannot understand the instructions! Has anyone made this dress? Are there pictures/ diagrams of how the pieces go together anywhere?

Missing

6 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Sewing_machine_large

Jun 20, 2013, 09.56 PMby bjr99

What specifically is the problem?

3 Replies
    • Missing

Jun 21, 2013, 06.23 AMby Louiseoflondon

Sorry I’ve put my question in another post, can you see it? Argh!

• Missing

Jun 21, 2013, 07.09 AMby Louiseoflondon

The first instruction says" stitch front and back section seams" which piece numbers does this mean?
      Second instruction says " lay draped pieces on corresponding front and back pieces with wrong side facing front side" wrong side of the draped silk pieces or the interlined pieces?
      From there on in I’m lost!

• Missing

Jun 21, 2013, 07.10 AMby Louiseoflondon

Thanks for any help you can give me! I’m not a novice sewer but this is the first time I’ve made a burda pattern and I’m really disappointed with the lack of clarity in the instructions.

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Jun 21, 2013, 11.33 AMby sewingfan1

This dress has 4 pieces (2 left and 2 right) for both the front and back bodice? So the “Stitch front and back section seams” – this dress has a centre front piece and a side front piece (same for the back) so you have to stitch those princess seams first. In the cutting out instructions section it usually lists all the pieces you should have (eg front piece x2, sleeve x 2) and on there it names them and gives you which number piece they refer to.

Do you mean “interlined” or “Lining”, if you interline something I think it means that you have attached some sort of fabric to the fashion fabric to stabilise or strengthen it and then that piece of fabric is treated as one, if it’s talking about a lining then that’s like you make a 2nd dress and attach it to the fashion fabric in which case, Burda instructions usually specify that they are talking about the lining fabric. Is this a dress that has a chiffon gathered overlay (or some other see thru fabric) on top of the silk? If so then I think it’s saying the wrong side of the chiffon should be laid on top of the right side of the silk.

1 Reply
    • Missing

Jun 21, 2013, 01.11 PMby Louiseoflondon

Thanks for coming back with some answers!
      I got the pattern pieces are numbered but the instructions do not say which number pieces they are referring to. If it did this it would be much clearer.
      The interlined pieces are pieces of lining which I have put interfacing on with the iron. There is another piece of just lining ie with no interfacing for each of these.
      I can’t work out why this is!when it says lay draped pieces on to the interlined pieces I still can’t work out which way round that should be. Have you made this dress?

Jun 23, 2013, 04.34 PMby sewingfan1

Did you not get this page of instructions with the pattern? http://assets.burdastyle.com/patterns/instructions_pdfs/000/002/538/107_Dress_cutting_and_sewing_instructions_original.pdf?1371494971 I think it should have been included really. That lists all the pattern piece numbers and matches them to whether they are the gathered overlay or the lining pieces. I’ve not made this one before but i’ll have a read thru to see if it makes sense to me. I’m pretty sure you’d lay the gathered pieces, after you’ve gathered them, wrong side to right side of lining tho.

1 Reply
    • Missing

Jun 23, 2013, 11.02 PMby Louiseoflondon

Yes thanks I do have the instructions, but none of it makes sense unless you know which pattern pieces they are talking about ie numbers!

Have pieced it together myself, but there are huge errors elsewhere eg instructions do not tell you to sew the second side of the skirt or sew the right hand side of the zip. My main problem now is the zip insertion is impossible, you have ruched fabric interlining ling and a zip to sew through, first attempt was awful. Will try again tomorrow. Will be glad to see the end of this project and never buy another burda mag!!

Jun 24, 2013, 09.39 AMby sewingfan1

awww, I guess they take a bit of getting used to but I’ve never had a problem with the pieces themselves not being numbered as I write it on using the cutting instructions (or I can tell from the shape of the pieces). When I was reading through the instructions though, they certainly sounded complcated and I guessed it’d be one of those that I’d be taking really slowly if I was making it and just reading 1 tiny bit at a time. The zip part too I must admit I thought would be difficult to insert neatly with all those layers! I’d probably have ended up going for a normal visible zip and putting it centre back instead :-(

1 Reply
    • Missing

Jun 24, 2013, 06.25 PMby Louiseoflondon

Good idea. Anyway it looked so awful I have paid a pro to insert it but even she looked at it and said it will be tricky! The pieces are numbeed but what I was suggesting was that the instructions should include those numbers so you have a better chance of understanding which pieces they mean to be sewn together!Burda have not responded to my email for help so thanks for responding.

Jun 24, 2013, 07.48 PMby sewingfan1

Hope you’ll be happy with the dress once it’s completed and get plenty of wear out of it! It’s certainly a gorgeous looking dress :-)

• Face_large

Jun 24, 2013, 07.49 PMby saidanddoneChris

I guess they want you to attach the draping pieces to one set of 21-24 (so that these pieces act as the underlining to the draping pieces. The second set of 21-24 is the actual lining of the dress so that you don’t see on the inside the raw edges of the sandwich of the first set of 21-24 and the draping pieces. Not sure if that makes any sense… ;)

1 Reply
    • Missing

Jun 25, 2013, 11.23 PMby Louiseoflondon

Yes thanks, I got that but the instructions did not give me the piece numbers to be sewn together! I guessed it after a couple of days hard thinking but it shouldn’t have been so hard of only they had put the piec numbers into the instructions! Hoping it looks good when I get it back with the zip inserted!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/gathered-evening-dress-pattern107-june-burda--2