Hi folks,

My sister has asked me to make the dresses for her bridesmaids (one of whom is me!) for her wedding this autumn.

We like this pattern: Designer Cowl Dress 02/2013 #153
http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/designer-cowl-dress-022013

But I wondered if anyone’s made it without the bow? She’s not a very bows kind of girl…. :)

Do you think it would be easy enough to adapt to sew without the bow? I’ve had a read through the sewing instructions and I think it can be done, but would appreciate the thoughts of others?

Thanks!
Cat

Missing

4 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Sewing_machine_large

Feb 7, 2013, 08.29 PMby bjr99

You will have to make a muslin of the dress for fittings so make it out of muslin and see what it looks like. If it needs something and your sister doesn’t like the bow, maybe a flower would work. It looks like it would work though with out the bow. Let us know how the muslin turns out!

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Feb 9, 2013, 10.23 AMby sewingfan1

Looking at the instructions for it, sounds like the bow is just for decoration and to hide a small seam on the ribbon so as long as you put something else there to cover the seam it should be fine. As bjr99 says, i’d make a muslin as it’s been given 3.5dots which means it’s not necessarily going to be the easiest of patterns to make up though shouldn’t have too many difficulties if you have some experience at sewing :-)

• Purplefan_large

Feb 11, 2013, 04.46 AMby purplefan

I’d recommend using soft fabric belts instead, if the bride-to-be doesn’t want the maids in bows.

Besides your sister is wearing her wedding dress; surely she won’t be upset if a bridesmaid wants the bow on a dress.

• Missing

Mar 4, 2013, 12.21 PMby hormiguica

I’m sewing it right now and the belt and bow is just for decoration. You could make it without the bow but the belt hides the seam between upper part and lower part so you sould put another kind of belt instead.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/designer-cowl-dress-022013-153-without-the-bow--2