Hi. I’m making the above pattern and there’s something I don’t quite understand.

I’ve sewn the lining and dress together at the neckline and armholes, trimmed, clipped and turned the lining to the inside and pressed, and also sewn the lining to the zipper band.

The pattern then proceeds to say, “pin skirt joining seams of dress and lining together exactly” (the dress has a bodice joined to the skirt high up under the bustline). It’s the next instruction that I’m stumped on: “work from right fabric side of dress to stitch in line of skirt joining seam”.

The only interpretation I can put on this is that I’m meant to sew on the outside of the dress EXACTLY in the seam that joins the bodice to the skirt. I’ve never come across such a thing before. Can anyone tell me if that’s what the instructions are telling me to do?

Thanks.

Missing

4 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 5e1c98baa90ec92bd1fa87adbdaa04543126762f_large

Jul 20, 2013, 09.43 PMby rita61

I think you have interpreted it correctly. Basically it’s an additional anchoring of the lining, so that is won’t twist/bunch up/ride up. I would recommend doing it by hand. Looking forward to pictures of your finished dresses. :-) When’s the wedding?

• Missing

Jul 20, 2013, 11.02 PMby Katherine330

Thanks for that. The wedding’s 7th September! I’ve got one more dress to make and the bows to finish. Unfortunately, I melted one today with the iron!! One distracted moment and lovely hole in the bow!

• F8c401a3f25120c4a2b948efcace1d9a54fa3d91_large

Jul 21, 2013, 10.29 AMby soniasews

I know it was answered. And it is correct I thought you might want to know its sometimes called stitch in a ditch and there are a few good YouTube videos on how to do it by hand and machine.

1 Reply
    • Missing

Jul 22, 2013, 08.22 AMby Katherine330

Oh, thank you! I’d tried searching for it, but without knowing what the terminology was, had trouble finding any help. I’ll research stitch in a ditch now! The term makes sense! Thanks again.

• F8c401a3f25120c4a2b948efcace1d9a54fa3d91_large

Jul 23, 2013, 10.40 AMby soniasews

Oops I didn’t know what the lighting bolt was. Your thank you is not inappropriate. Can someone fix that? What I meant to say is your welcome. Complete opposite of what I did hahahaha

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

• ooooh, good idea. thanks. and katexxxx your posts are everywhere and amazing. you help …

• Thanks Dissylu!! should i iron some interfacing on the back of the crepe just to give i…

• Mine is printing at 3-1/2". My print preview is fine, it’s the actual printout where i…

• Hi!

I think you’d be fine sewing directly on the fabric. You could use a tiny zig za…

• I also just posted a project that disappeared on me! I had that a few weeks ago with an…

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/burda-pattern-7470--2