Hi! I’m working on a pattern which I bought and downloaded (because I couldn’t find the whole of last month’s magazine anywhere locally – the libraries are still waiting on it, and the newsagents don’t carry it anymore here in Melbourne) and as it’s my first Burda Style pattern in many years, (I usually use the Big Four patterns) I’m struggling a bit with the instructions. I’m so used to having pictures to go with the words, and am having to read each instruction numerous times to figure out what they actually mean.

A couple of specific problems have come up, half-way through making this blouse, and I wonder if someone here can please help me out?
1. IN the instructions for making the cuffs it says,“Work 2 buttonholes in front end of each cuff, 1.5cm and 4.5cm below attachments seam. Work one buttonhole in front end of each cuff.” -Am I really supposed to have three buttonholes in each cuff? Or choose which I prefer for myself? THe pattern did specify 10 buttons, which would mean I should only have one buttonhole in each cuff, but then why does it say to make two?

2. More importantly: nowhere in the instructions can I see where it says to sew the side seams together. On the four-page instruction sheet, half-way down the second column on the second page it says, “On fronts, stitch integrated back yokes to back piece (French seam).” But it doesn’t mention the side seams at all. Later on after the sleeves have been constructed (middle of the first column on the third page) it says “Set in sleeves, easing sleeve caps.” So I assume that somewhere in between these two instructions the side seams should also be sewn together (and presumbly also as a French seam) but WHEN?

You know, I understand why, when patterns are printed in the magazine, the instructions should be sparse and maybe there isn’t room to also publish instructional drawings, but it would be nice if the downloaded version had pictures to help!

Can anyone please assist me with these two problems?

Jen in oz

Missing

1 Post Sign in to add a post

• Iphone_pictures_037_large

Oct 3, 2013, 03.54 PMby Deanna31

Hi, I think what they mean by 2 button holes – is 1 button hole on each cuff, 2 all up.

Also the side seams should be done before the hem is sewn and the sleeves put in, preferably after the darts have been sewn.

Good luck!

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

• Hi nelluzza!

I don’t think I would because the extra stability you would achieve in …

• ooooh, good idea. thanks. and katexxxx your posts are everywhere and amazing. you help …

• Thanks Dissylu!! should i iron some interfacing on the back of the crepe just to give i…

• Mine is printing at 3-1/2". My print preview is fine, it’s the actual printout where i…

• Hi!

I think you’d be fine sewing directly on the fabric. You could use a tiny zig za…

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/someone-help-me/topics/082013-104-romantic-style-blouse--2