Need help with pattern if anyone can help me. I am sure it is in the translation of terms, but the instructions regarding the back of the skirt are not clear to me. Can anyone help. It is a late 1880’s pattern.

Thanks all,
Donna
http://www.habithat.co.uk/images/Burda7880.jpg

Missing

4 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Twitter_photo_large

May 8, 2012, 04.33 AMby tailorstack

The link doesn’t work. Are you able to re-post?

• Missing

May 8, 2012, 07.00 AMby judypeg

Hi, djmoore. I looked on the Habitthat website and it looks like the pattern you are trying to make is a 1880’s style dress with what I think is known as a “bustle”, a gathering of fabric at the back to enhance the female rear! I would say you are meant to pull up the top layer of fabric in two sections and secure them both (maybe separately) to another piece of fabric. this should then lie on the rear. You may need interfacing to give the fabric some body and it might be that the interfacing instructions are part of the confusion; I know that’s what often confuses me in patterns. Basically, stiffen the fabric then pull up one layer and sew, then pull up the second layer and sew. Any help or have I just made it worse? Judypeg

• 985f0154fdefdf284531d76b36fbffee7a42548e_large

May 8, 2012, 07.02 PMby katexxxxxx

This is a polonaise gown…

I think (if it is made correctly!) you should have three pieces for the skirt. The first will be a skirt that fits over a bustle (which is the underlying support) or a false rump (which is like a D shaped cushion). You then have the draped bit that goes across the front, and is the apron. Over that you have the over skirt, which is drawn up on tapes or ribbons through curtain hoops, in the polonaise style.

This being a costume pattern rather than a pattern drawn up at the time or taken from an extant garment, it may have all three pieces sewn together into a waistband…

• Missing

Oct 17, 2012, 02.19 AMby Nancy Hass

Confused what is the bustle “filling material” supposed to be? And is the bustle worn under the skirt?

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/skill-tank/topics/help-with-burda-pattern-7880-needed--2