Hi,
Has anyone seen the preview of 02/11 Burda magazine?
http://www.burdastyle.de/trends/news/vorschau-02-2011-alle-modelle-aus-burda-style-02-2011_aid_3414.html

Is it me or is this issue just dull???
What happend to Burda? Why do they alter each pattern a little bit and put it as a seperate pattern?
I think this is really not fair towards subscribers…. The number of patterns has really decreased lately and the last issue is really just the last straw :-(

Img_9187s_large

19 Posts Sign in to add a post

• 20596winter_20fairy_large

Jan 17, 2011, 03.47 PMby sewingfan1

Sometimes when I look at the preview I think I won’t buy that issue as the patterns look dull (must admit I thought February’s looks dull too) but then when I go and have a look at the magazine when it comes out I change my mind as there’s usually at least 2 patterns in each issue that I love and even if the other patterns seem to be variations on a theme of previous ones they can be inspiring and help me to understand how different a look can be created with the same design by using different fabrics.

There’s usually about 3 issues per year that I don’t end up buying though as I can’t see anything in there that I’d make which is why I’ve never got around to actually subscribing, but maybe those issues would actually be another person’s favorites. :-)

• Dscn0826_large

Jan 17, 2011, 10.13 PMby ruthw

Yes, I sometimes think I won’t buy the next one but when I see it, I can’t stop myself, and then as it “sinks in”, after a few weeks sometimes, I start to think that there is something in every magazine that I can use. Also, when a pattern doubles up, you can make it as a blouse first and then a dress, when you have sorted out most of the fitting with less fabric! That’s what I’m planning to do with the forties-style blouse and dress in the January issue (when I get round to it…).

1 Reply

Jan 22, 2011, 07.42 PMby sewingfan1

Good idea re your blouse first so you can “try it out” with less fabric first.
      The forties blouse was beautiful. Was looking at vintage patterns from the 30s and 40s on an american website but they cost $75 plus which is too steep for me. Actually some of the patterns that were on there were still in print from companies like Butterick at normal prices which put me off even more. Love looking at them for inspiration though and then wait for Burda to print similar styles which I can adapt :-)

• Logo4957b_large

Jan 22, 2011, 05.27 PMby jen .ss1

Actually, I’m fairly happy with the February issue. I really needed some of those basics – like the flat front shorts, plain pencil skirt & the simple shift dress. I’d rather have these types of patterns because I can adapt them more so than some of the trendier looking ones. Through the subscription service the price can’t be beat – about $7 issue. Even if I get just one pattern out of it, not a bad deal. Just my take : )

• 6e3656aa7036783b3e4bbc29f34d1029385afafe_large

Jan 22, 2011, 06.19 PMby wzrdreams

I didn’t like it either. After seeing some of the january patterns listed here (just a few though) I went to my local magazine shop that carries Burda and they had already stocked February and I didn’t see ANYTHING in it that I liked. They only had 2 issues of January left (one in french, the other in german) but it was pretty great… there are 2 coats, 2 dresses, several shirts and 2 pairs of pants that I really want to make so I chose the french one. Then the guy at the counter dug around in the back for me until he found his last english version of January.

But yeah… February is boring and that is the reason I don’t subscribe. I just don’t have room to store issues that I don’t want to make a single thing from. I feel like it’s about 50/50 hit and miss for me.

I REALLY wish this english site had a proper magazine preview section.

Jan 22, 2011, 07.35 PMby sewingfan1

Did buy February’s in the end. As usual, once I started flicking through the actual mag and saw the detailing on things I’ve found a few patterns in there I love (the dress pattern 119 is really cute and the high waisted pencil skirts are great). At under £5 I think it’s really good value; bought a Vogue pattern on the way home which set me back £14! Storage is becoming a bit of an issue as I can’t ever bring myself to throw them out (got some editions from the 80s when I first started sewing) but I bought some lovely magazine boxes to store them in. Just need to find a spare shelf now. Tricky.

3 Replies
    • Bobb_large

Feb 2, 2011, 01.25 PMby porlock

Presuming you’re from the UK, where did you get your copy? I actually really like the look of the patterns in the Feb copy but wouldn’t know where to get single issues.

• 2248651388_b7dff371cd_large

Feb 2, 2011, 08.57 PMby victors

porlock, WH Smiths keep them. Thats the only place I have ever seen them and its where I get mine.

• Bobb_large

Feb 8, 2011, 04.33 PMby porlock

victors – thanks! I always assumed that my local WH Smiths was a ‘big’ one, but this is the second magazine I’ve looked for and assumed that they just didn’t stock.

I found a proper ‘big’ Smiths in the end, and was able to get hold of a copy, but thank you!

• Missing

Jan 27, 2011, 05.13 PMby Sarina Beek

I really miss the old Burda Web Site. It would be nice to view the catalogues and magazine previews again, it is much easier to plan a season’s sewing while relaxing in one’s own home.

2 Replies

Feb 2, 2011, 01.39 PMby sewingfan1

Take a look at the german burda site, they have the preview on there (burdastyle.de) They have a “vorschau” (preview of the technical details) you want the “zweite vorschau” (2nd preview) which shows “alle modellen…” (all the models from the mag). The “erste vorschau” (1st preview) comes out earlier the month before and just shows you a few of them, then later in the month you get the 2nd preview too with all of them.

• Missing

Feb 6, 2011, 05.41 PMby lookingsewgood

I have started to learn a bit of german. the burdastyle.de website is really good even for pictures if you don’t know german.

Feb 2, 2011, 01.34 PMby sewingfan1

WH Smith stock Burda, I get it from the main store in Birmingham and I’m pretty sure Stourbridge branch stocks it too. Maybe smaller WHSmith outlets wouldn’t hold it.

• Photoge01_large

Feb 2, 2011, 04.14 PMby gedwoods

I don’t actually buy the Burda magazine for the patterns, but rather because these are clothes that are often fairly simple in construction and that inspire for my own designs. I always preserve the Burda patterns very carefully, but after four years of sewing, the only patterns I’ve actually used were the two toddler hoodies I made a year ago and the first corset I made. Otherwise, I’d really rather play around with my own designs.

3 Replies

Feb 2, 2011, 04.44 PMby sewingfan1

I’m impressed.

• Photoge01_large

Feb 2, 2011, 07.25 PMby gedwoods

I didn’t mean to boast, just to offer a different perspective on the magazine. As I’ve said elsewhere, pattern manipulation is not so hard as people think…

Feb 3, 2011, 09.21 AMby sewingfan1

Sorry gedwoods, I wasn’t implying you were boasting. I was just impressed as I often want to adapt patterns but my success rate to date isn’t too good, probably about 60/40. I’m getting better though.

• 958f82a55d1f911aea11daf7f2e4e6295bbe805d_large

Feb 3, 2011, 12.01 PMby bohemiannow

When I first started buying burda, back in 2005, the patterns could barely be subcribed (at my point of view ofcourse) as trendy or hip. They were classic, almost fit for women older than 35 or 40, but with the right fabric and accessories you could create beautiful basic clothes to fit every occasion. The last semester burda has changed and most of the patterns are very loose, barely have a shape. Ok it may be fashion for some, but others don’t like buggy, hippy or country like clothes, and i think we’ve seen so many of them lately. Of course we can’t all be pleased, but maybe a little variation would be the key. I didnt’ buy the february issue or the january one. The last issues I bought were just for one or two patterns I liked or thought i could use.

• Kt_large

Feb 8, 2011, 11.07 AMby glamourie

i don’t like it either – to be honest, if i saw these clothes for sale i doubt i would even consider trying them on. i usually get burda and i also get Prima with the patterns, and i have found that they are all (burda and prima) getting very samey. in addition to them all looking the same i think a lot of them (prima especially) are very mature and dated (ie something my aunts would wear – not the trendy aunts) and NOT DESIGNED for anyone with a figure. the vast majority of these clothes now would be extremely unflattering on anyone with any curves anywhere on them. i did buy January’s burda, though i haven’t made anything out of it and probably wont – there is a lot of jersey in there and its very hard to find nice jersey in the UK for some reason – i definitely wont be buying February’s copy.

1 Reply
    • 4343a36d4466c6f353525bdc97ba571be3128723_large

Feb 17, 2011, 08.20 AMby thecuriouskiwi

I agree with you about the designs not being for anyone with a figure, I started to notice that a few months ago, a lot of jersey, and unfitted designs, they seem boxy and in my opinion, lazily designed.

• Vatten_large

Feb 8, 2011, 02.20 PMby ichigogirl

I think they have a priority-problem. In Sweden, they’ve begun to translate the magazines to Swedish, they only used to translate the sewing-instructions and the rest was in English (unless I remember incorrectly). That must cost loads! And almost all understand English here. I think it’s a desperate attempt to get more readers (when more resources on up-to date, cool patterns probably would pay off more).

• Twitter_pic_large

Feb 12, 2011, 11.33 AMby Anne Wagenhauser

I haven’t an issue with the content in general for the Februrary edition, however burda have changed their sizing…

Petite sizes used to be 17-21, now however someone has decided to alter it to 18 – 22. This is a big problem for me as my daughter needs the 17, and even then there is usually altering to be done. I have noticed the sizing for tall sizes has gone up one too. So have the powers that be in the Burda office decided that there is no need for a small ( UK 6-8) petite size anymore? There are precious few patterns for the standard size 34 in each magazine, and now to have that further reduced in the petite section, one that I rely upon, is seriously disappointing.

Some consulation must have been done on this, but as there is no site for the magazine anymore you have to wonder how they came up with the idea.

1 Reply
    • Burda5_large

Feb 15, 2011, 11.00 PMby fairyprincess

That’s my problem too. I don’t think it’s just an issue with Burda magazine though, everywhere seems to be getting rid of any petite sizes, but most frustrating is that I sew more of my own clothes because I can’t buy ready-to-wear clothes and now it’s a big task to find any patterns in petite sizes. I don’t want to have to spend hours grading down patterns, especially when they are multi-sized and not vintage single-sized!

• 4343a36d4466c6f353525bdc97ba571be3128723_large

Feb 17, 2011, 08.18 AMby thecuriouskiwi

I got February through my subscription, not a very exciting issue and not a single item I want to make in it. I wasn’t hugely impressed by January either…I think my subscription comes up in about 4 months time and at this stage I won’t renew it. I can spend the spare cash on fabric ;) and if an issue comes up that is good I can get it at Boarders – 3 months delayed but that means it is correct for our seasons here in Australia. Right now I prefer Manequim, La Mia Boutique and Patrones, even through they aren’t in English, that just adds an extra challenge.

• Img_0258_large

Mar 7, 2011, 10.23 AMby buddingnaturalist

Agree with Kaitui-kiwi and the others on this. The last Burda I bought was September, 2010. Haven’t seen anything from them since that I’d ever wear. Also agree with earlier comments on them not having the 34/17 sizes. Seriously, burdastyle, how much cost/effort is it to have ONE extra size? Some of us sew not just for the fun of it but because nothing in ready to wear fits us (well). I’ve also found that Burda patterns require way too much re-fitting whereas (for me) La Mia Boutique and Patrones outfits fit well enough on the first go. Obviously I have to grade down patterns from those magazines but I consider the end result to be worth it. It also annoys me that they’ve got all this advertising on this site (basically making money off the fact that most of us come here to look at all the awesome stuff made by other sewistas) and they still can’t afford/be bothered to put up an archive of patterns and magazines like the German and French Burda sites. Sorry Burda, you shall have my patronage when you bother to earn it. =S

• 026_125_eves_a_singer_varrogep_preview_large

Mar 7, 2011, 11.21 AMby hdk100

I have to join in sadly… My subscription just ended last month, which was a really boring issue to say goodby to. And I dicided not to continue paying for all those small changes and pattern redos. My husband was sweet enough thoug to surprise me with the 03/2011 issue. I was happy and touched, but that’s it. Nothin new or exciting in it again. That’s too bad. And I haven’t seen any other similar magazines in Hungary (like Patrones). :(

Mar 7, 2011, 02.08 PMby sewingfan1

I’ve not bothered with March issue either. When I look through my old stash of Burda magazines I haven’t got many Winter/Spring issues, they are mainly from May to October so maybe every year has boring (or basic) patterns at that time of year. I guess new sewers might find useful if they haven’t already built up a stash of patterns. Summer and autumn patterns always seem to be the best and most imaginative.

• 1609618_10202848284157938_1597185531_n_large

Jul 28, 2011, 05.40 PMby nouvellegamine

really? i loved the 50s sophia loren dresses & skirts. and the nautical fashions were really cute.

2 Replies
    • Logo4957b_large

Jul 29, 2011, 03.17 AMby jen .ss1

I agree. I have made more of the patterns from this issue than probably any other. I’m not always thrilled with BSM styling (not a fan of florals myself) but the pattern quality is really exceptional…Especially considering what’s available in the US market these days.

• 1609618_10202848284157938_1597185531_n_large

Jul 29, 2011, 06.11 AMby nouvellegamine

yeah, for the price esp. i have a subscription so it’s cheaper, but even paying $12.50 here for a single issue is a steal compared to buying a pattern.
      the magazine also has slight variations on most of the patterns as well as different ways to style them.

i’d have to say their futuristic designs are my least favorite in terms of me actually making them. i like looking at them, but they don’t suit me personally ;)

• User_9697999_1238456472431_box_large

Jul 31, 2011, 11.24 AMby Timea Schmidt

Last time I got a Burda magazine was about 10 years ago. The funny thing is that I still using them. So does Burda!! Same patterns over and over. Plus, most of the patterns you can find on other websites for free. Obviously they all have the same pattern making software:))

1 Reply
    • 5b24348d8cf0c23295692be6ceaea500b429d3d9_large

Aug 31, 2011, 11.48 AMby stefanisarah

OMG, that is so true it’s hilarious. And I have only been subscribing for one year.

Aug 31, 2011, 12.07 PMby sewingfan1

But for me (certainly for the UK price of under £5) it’s worth it for the updates they give to the looks. Maybe I would just buy a different fashion magazine and use my old Burdas for the patterns if it was costing me $13 per issue :-)

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/skill-tank/topics/disappointing-burda-magazine-0211--2