I just brought the Bernina 1150MDA overlocker, I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet. I have guests staying in my sewing room so I won’t be able to play for a few days. I did learn a few interesting things from the sales man though that is very handy to know about Bernina.

Bernina don’t actually make overlockers, they only make sewing machines! They farm all their overlockers out to Juki who make industrial overlockers so you know they are going to be good. I can’t remember what the model number of the Juki is but it is exactly the same as the Bernina 1150MDA except for the label. The guy at the shop had both of them there and you could see they were the same machine.

I ended up taking the Bernina not the Juki because I would have to wait a month for the Juki to be in stock. Even though the Bernina was $100 more that the Juki even on sale (the Bernina is normally $1299 but was on sale for $1099 and the Juki is $999 full price) the Bernina come with 2 extra feet and a 5 year warranty and the Juki only had 2 years. If I had brought the extra feet (blind stitch and elastic feet) they would of come to over $100.

I have been doing research into lots of overlockers and on the advise of a few of you here I decided to go with the Bernina 1150MDA. I thought anyone else looking at getting an overlocker / serger might like to know this little bit of handy inside knowledge. And id you are on the east side of Melboure go Sewing Machine City in Bayswater. I went there because they service industrial machines on site, they don’t even stock lower end machines and they really know what they are talking about.

Pjs04_large

1 Post Sign in to add a post

• 4343a36d4466c6f353525bdc97ba571be3128723_large

Aug 10, 2010, 07.30 AMby thecuriouskiwi

I have this overlocker too and I am pleased to read your post, thank you for sharing. I love my Bernina too, I know a few other girls on this site also have one and love it. I agree, it’s a fantastic purchase. Mine cost me $995 on special (actually Mr Rudd bought it for me with my stimulus payment) but I also saw it recently at a trade fair for $795 one-day-only price which made me jealous but no worries becasue I am so happy with my purchase.

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/skill-tank/topics/bernina-1150mda-sergeroverlocker--2