I’ve just printed out the Jorinde Blazer Pattern and have found the 4inch test square is 1/16th of an inch out, not a big deal on a small scale but when you scale that up to a 38" bust it makes for a 2 inch difference.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem. I am thinking i’ll just cut big and definitely make a toile but it would be nice if the test square was the correct size?

Cheers,
Candy

1253ef6da08f9a1c901d80b9de58822a5056c690_large

7 Posts Sign in to add a post

• Missing

Mar 6, 2011, 08.17 PMby beee

Hi Candy, i’ve had problems with this in the past, and it turned out to be the paper size in my printer settings…i’ve printed the Jorinde pattern too, and now it’s fine. Best, B

• 985f0154fdefdf284531d76b36fbffee7a42548e_large

Mar 7, 2011, 01.54 PMby katexxxxxx

Make sure you have the correct paper size selected (for me that’s A4) and NO SCALING.

• Photo_99__large

Sep 29, 2011, 11.46 PMby Margaret Alfred-kamara

I’m a beginner and would like to know what a test square is and what is it used for? thanks

1 Reply
    • Patti_12-28-2011_large

Sep 30, 2011, 10.59 PMby patti-r

If your referring to the Burda test 4 inch squares they should measure on the print out sheet of the pattern square the same as 4 inches = 10.16 centimeters, in length and width.
      As stated by others to make sure your paper size is correct.

They also use test squares for testing shrinkage on fabrics.

• Missing

Oct 20, 2011, 10.32 PMby rtmattox

I had the same problem when i sent mine to a printer for a full size printing. I got it back and the test square was off by 1/16 of an inch. What should I tell the printer in this case? Also, I tried to print on 8.5 × 11 and piece it together, and by the time i got all the pages in place, it was a bit off. Any suggestions?

• Missing

May 12, 2013, 08.54 AMby Sakinah Djilali

Just print out page 49 (the test square page)…on my first print (sigh! all 50 pages), I was beginning to be depressed at how ‘large’ I have become only to realise that my square is actually measuring 11.5 cm instead of the 10 cm. On my printer I opted for actual size printing and it printed out exactly 10 cm. Hope that helps.

• Missing

Aug 24, 2013, 07.30 PMby coleke

Am having this same persistent problem…Test square is exactly 1/16" too small. I have the right size paper (8 1/2" by 11"), the printer knows this, I’m not scaling the image, etc… But still it prints too small. Of course this adds up throughout a garment. Any insight?

• The_mermaid_large

Aug 25, 2013, 01.03 PMby blueartisan

Most printers will automatically fit to page (aka shrink oversize pages, scale to fit, fit to paper), mine I have to change every time to actual size or scale 100%, even if the last thing I printed was a pattern. I have had problems in the past with Print Sew patterns, one even printed the test square perfectly and then not the pattern. Turns out my printer didn’t like the paper brand for some reason and it was going in crooked or with 2 sheets at a time which can really mess with a print out. That said though, I do find that the entire pattern doesn’t always stick together properly. I think it has to do with the fact that printers do have a certain margin for error especially when you a printing large amounts. The rollers get hot and that can warp your paper slightly. A way to combat this is to print 10 sheets at a time with a 5 minute break in between to let your printer cool. Also if I find that it is beginning to go off of track, I just have to cut breaks in the spare parts of the sheets to get the actual pattern pieces aligned properly. I then use a tracing webbing to trace them all out and make adjustments anyway. This seems to work for me :)

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/site-and-pattern-corrections/topics/jorinde-4112-test-square-sizing-issue--2