The directions for these shorts have errors and vague instructions, both in the magazine print edition and also in the present download version. I’ve made two pairs of shorts from this pattern, and these are the errors and some corrections I’ve noted:

Zip slit: It says “Press self-facings…stitch along centre front on the right and 5 mm (3/16 in) before centre front on the left” and it should be “Press self facings…PRESS along centre front…” [That one really confused me at first]

Waistband and centre back seam: This section has you sewing the waistband sections on before sewing the CB seam, and therefore the CB belt loop cannot be sewn on in the same manner as the others. (Kind of doesn’t make sense). I sewed the CB seam and then the waistband as one unit, catching the CB loop and all the others in the seam. I also cut the back waistband piece on the fold in order to get rid of that unnecessary & bulky back center seam.

Also, I think that the zipper underlap piece is too short and I cut mine at about the same length as the facings instead. The front welts can use some reinforcement too, even though the instructions don’t say to do this. I ‘stitched in the ditch’ of the short side seams of the welts. (Without this, the welt pockets on the first pair of shorts did not fare well after a few wearings and washings).

I hope this saves someone from frustration…

Logo4957b_large

0 Comments

• This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Recent Posts

Burdastyle

http://burdastyle.com//discussions/site-and-pattern-corrections/topics/bsm-feb-2011-122-shorts--2