I had a party to go to. A ceilihd to be exact. Complete with band and singing and music and dancing with a proper dance caller… We had a blast! It was a long-time friend’s retirement do. She is gently bonkers (aren’t ALL my friends?) and a morris dancer. And I needed a frock!
Pah! And BUMS! The lovely (and entirely suitable) frock I made for a friend’s wedding last autumn (this one: http://assets.burdastyle.com/project_images/assets/000/145/603/DSCF0033_large.jpg?1286275909) is waaaaay too tight round the bum for comfort! And I only thought to try it on two days before going 250 miles north for the pary!
So back on the STRICT Weight-Watcher’s plan for Kate, and a bit of stash diving for fabric, plus a plunge in the pattern pool as I didn’t have time to draft one and test it before making… Luckily there was a lull in the customer projects or I’d have been scuppered!
Burda’s Nora pattern fit the bill, and there was enough of a chunk of cobalt blue Indian paisley (very tiny paisley!) poly brocade to do the gown, and a whole roll of black tafeta to make a skirt. It got trimmed with some very fine blue and gold embroidered Indian braid. I’ll write the frock up properly when I get some decent pix, but suffice it to say that the pattern fitted nicely without any alterations, went together smoothly (except for the small bit of hand stitching down of the lining, which I did in the car at night in a traffic jam on the M11! It was sewing with black thread on black fabric in the dark by the light of the car interior light! Not the best of conditions, you’ll admit!), and is altogether a very splendid pattern. Well done, Burdastyle.
And I love it, and am sad: this is NOT a dress I intend to fit in for long! But then when I lose the excess weight again, I’ll fit back in the black and gray one, and then into my red one that I made for my Silver Wedding…