The inspiration for this is our very own projects section. Since we are world wide, members have names for their articles of clothing according to where they live and post their projects with those names. Not a problem, but I thought it would be neat to hear where the names fit in to the list below starting with skirts and moving through necklines, sleeve types and various items,. I’m sure there are still a multitude of types so please add any that I have overlooked and let me know what you call your skirts. (Even pet names!)
1. A-line skirt. So called because it looks like the letter “A”. Narrow at the top, and a bit wider at the bottom. A wardrobe essential. Very possibly the most often worn skirt.
2. Gypsy or tiered skirt: A skirt made with several horizontal layers of fabric that are gathered together. A mainstay of bohemian dressing aka. boho.
3. Mermaid Skirt: Typically fitted from waist to knees, then flaring out from knees down like a mermaid’s tail.
4. Mini Skirt: Hemline above the knee.
5. Micro Mini Skirt: Basically as short as you can go without the skirt qualifying as a belt.
6. Bustle Skirt: Generally flat across the stomach, with ruffles in the back. It’s making a comeback now as part of Steampunk/Neovictorian fashion.
7. Pencil skirt: Popular in movies from the 1940’s, a very slender silouette that hugs the body and is often worn just beneath the knees or down to mid-calf.
8. Maxi skirt: A skirt that goes from waist to ankles.
9. Grommeted skirts or skirts with gussets: A skirt made of vertical panels that go from waist to hemline. Great skirts for dancing as you can get a lot of fabric is a slimming silouette.
10. Pleated skirt: The girl’s version of a kilt. Pleats are folds of fabric that are sewn across the top similar to gathers. Pleated garments require a lot more fabric.
11. Sarong or pareau: A type of wrap skirt that usually fastens on one side or ties at the hip.
12. Wrap skirt: A skirt without a side seam that is worn wrapped around and tied on the side.
13: Puddle skirt: A long skirt with fabric that puddles on the ground when you stand still.
14. Circle skirt: Cut a circle, cut a hole in the center for the waist. Add a slit at the waist to accomodate a zipper or ties.
15. Jeans skirt: A skirt made by slitting an old pair of jeans and reforming them into a skirt. Or a skirt made out of denim.
16: Bubble skirt: A skirt with a tight waist, full body, then tight again at the hem line causing it to poof out like a bubble.
17. Tutu: A specialized skirt usually made of tulle originally used in ballet, but has now snuck into goth and fetish wear.
18: Flared skirt: Start with an A-line skirt but make the bottom wider.
20. High waisted skirt: A skirt that goes higher than the waistline by a little or a lot. Pencil skirts in particular are often high-waisted.
21. Combo skirts: Many skirts, especially repurposed or upcycled skirts combine more than one style together, like part jeans, part ruffles.
22. Gathered skirt: Perhaps the simplest of all skirts. The waist is gathered into the waistband.
23. Broomstick skirt: Typically a long skirt with vertical wrinkles. These skirts were once wrapped around a broom handle while wet and when dry they had wrinkles. Other methods are rolling the skirt and pulling it through the leg of a discarded stocking (nylons) or drying it in the dryer till damp, rolling it up, knotting it in the middle and letting it dry that way until wearing.
The names and descriptions of the skirts above have been gathered from various sources on the www.
Hi, I made the dress that had this same skirt. Piece 8 is the front piece that will be…
If a pattern is marked for personal use", you may not make and sell the garment. I had …
Chiffon might have to wait until your children are older and possibly willing to help y…
Front darts-you press each one flat, then press dart to have its folded edge pointing/f…
I’m stuck on basically everything after “sew the darts.” :( Thanks!
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to sew these overalls with a modern twist!
This course will guide you through the process of creating an 8-piece Lingerie Collection!
Member Project of the Week
Find out why this is the ultimate pool party outfit!
Fashion & Trends
Find out why seamstresses have the best lingerie...
Fashion & Trends
Stunning beaded gowns, crop tops, and everything in between.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.