The BurdaStyle Talent Search 2011 Script
Look into the camera while speaking and follow the script in a conversational, friendly way. We are using the Serge the Charlie Bag tutorial. You can serge or zig zag stitch your bag, depending on what’s available to you. Please note, you should put your personal touch on the script and it does not have to be word for word. Good luck!
Please begin by introducing yourself with the following information:
Your name, your BurdaStyle name, where you live, your occupation, and how long you have been sewing.
Then, proceed with the script:
1. I am going to show you how to make the very popular Charlie bag in seven simple steps.
2. At this point I have already cut out my 2 pieces for the bag. You can use a serger or a zig zag stitch for making this bag. I am going to use a _______.
3. First, sew the short ends of pouch. Fold, right sides facing, the short flap goes in between the two longer sides. Sew the pouch seams at 5/8 inch.
4. Now, serge or overlock all handle edges at 5/8 inch.
5. Sew handle tops together. Note that the handles of one side attach to eachother, not to the opposite side. Pinning before sewing can help you preview and make sure you are sewing the right sides together.
6. Sew the side seams at 5/8 inch.
7. Fold the bottom seam at the notches and sew at 5/8 inch.
8. Voila! You’ve got yourself a Charlie Bag!
The Charlie Reusable Grocery Bag pattern is free and available here
As the machine sews the feed dogs bite the bottom layer of fabric a bit and…
Janabg – I haven’t made this, but someone has made 103C, which is pretty much identical…
I don’t think I would because the extra stability you would achieve in …
ooooh, good idea. thanks. and katexxxx your posts are everywhere and amazing. you help …
Thanks Dissylu!! should i iron some interfacing on the back of the crepe just to give i…
Sewing & Techniques
Watch this free tutorial on how transform your basic skirt pattern into a flowy A-line silhouette!
Pattern of the Week
Turn down this jacket’s deep shawl collar for the illusion of a coat that slips off the shoulder!
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.