The BurdaStyle Talent Search 2011 Script
Look into the camera while speaking and follow the script in a conversational, friendly way. We are using the Serge the Charlie Bag tutorial. You can serge or zig zag stitch your bag, depending on what’s available to you. Please note, you should put your personal touch on the script and it does not have to be word for word. Good luck!
Please begin by introducing yourself with the following information:
Your name, your BurdaStyle name, where you live, your occupation, and how long you have been sewing.
Then, proceed with the script:
1. I am going to show you how to make the very popular Charlie bag in seven simple steps.
2. At this point I have already cut out my 2 pieces for the bag. You can use a serger or a zig zag stitch for making this bag. I am going to use a _______.
3. First, sew the short ends of pouch. Fold, right sides facing, the short flap goes in between the two longer sides. Sew the pouch seams at 5/8 inch.
4. Now, serge or overlock all handle edges at 5/8 inch.
5. Sew handle tops together. Note that the handles of one side attach to eachother, not to the opposite side. Pinning before sewing can help you preview and make sure you are sewing the right sides together.
6. Sew the side seams at 5/8 inch.
7. Fold the bottom seam at the notches and sew at 5/8 inch.
8. Voila! You’ve got yourself a Charlie Bag!
The Charlie Reusable Grocery Bag pattern is free and available here
For sewing knit fabric on a sewing machine you can use:
a stretch stitch (see your manu…
thank you for your comment.
The next day I went to sewing class. And it worked out f…
maybe you could look online =)
Man I feel your pain!
I’m yet to start sewing but I’m hoping to make things that fit be…
I am in complete agreement. How tedious.
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.